The JIHIR has several dormitory-style rooms available to Physics
Linens are provided. The large common area includes a sitting area with a
TV and kitchen facilities. Guests will need to bring their own food.
Photographs of the
dormitory are found on our website.
The ORNL cafeteria
(link accessible only from on-site) is open
from 6:30-9:30 and 10:45-13:15 Monday-Friday and is located a
few hundred meters from the facility.
A small breakfast or snack
(bagels, muffins, gourmet coffee)
may be found on "Main Street" in building 5700 (across the street from the
cafeteria) from 7:00-13:00 Monday - Friday.
Dormitory reservations can be made by contacting
Jessica Rose. Please provide the name of
your local contact or host.
Assignment of Space
Dormitory rooms will be allocated according to the following general
(in order of priority):
Dormitory rooms are primarily for short-term stays of 16 days or less.
In exceptional cases
(students and some foreign guests), the stay can be extended for an
additional two weeks or a
maximum of 31 days. The HRIBF Science Director will be making
- HRIBF Users coming for experiments
- HRIBF Users coming to collaborate
- Short-term guests who benefit from or support Physics Division
"Prime" rooms are reserved for HRIBF Users only.
Regulations of the Dormitory
- ORNL does not allow alcoholic beverages or controlled substances of
any type on site.
Violation of this rule will lead to immediate eviction.
- Smoking is not allowed in any ORNL building including the dormitory
- The kitchen is to be left clean. Food should not be left on the
Dishes should be washed or rinsed and then put in dishwasher.
Any food in the kitchen that is not labeled with guest's room number
will be discarded.
Please remove any leftover food at the end of your visit.
- The building is to be locked at all times.
- Queries from the Liaison Office should be responded to immediately.
Mechanism for Space Assignment of Dormitory Rooms
- Reservations are made through the HRIBF Liaison Office.
- Guest completes
ORNL Site Access training.
- Reservations will not be approved until a month before the date
- The Users Office will send the contact a confirmation.
- Guest, upon arrival, will receive key for Building 6007 and
dormitory room. Key is to be returned to the Liaison Office before the
visitor departs from Oak Ridge.
- Checkout time is 1 p.m. Please return keys and supply box to
the HRIBF Liaison Office before check out time so that
the room may be cleaned before the janitor leaves at 3:30 p.m.
- The Users Office will log in and log out the keys.
- There is no charge for rooms.
- Visitors are expected to cancel their reservation if their plans are
changed. A no-show guest may be penalized by losing rights to making