[Phybrownbag] Reminder - Brown Bag Seminar TODAY - New Location

phybrownbag at orph02.phy.ornl.gov phybrownbag at orph02.phy.ornl.gov
Fri May 13 11:22:40 EDT 2016

Hi All –

Konstantin Yakunin will be presenting this month’s installment of the physics division brown bag seminar TODAY AT NOON. Title and abstract are below.

Please note that until further notice the seminars will be held in the building 6000 conference room.

Cheers,
Vince

Title:  Gravitational Waves: 100 years from prediction to detection.
Abstract: LIGO scientific collaboration announced on April, 11th that they had detected the gravitational signal of two black holes coalescence a 400 Mpc away. This is the first direct evidence of gravitational waves, the ripples in the fabric of space-time that theory of General Relativity (GR) predicted a century ago. In this talk I will give an overview of 100-year history of GR, which lead to this outstanding achievement. I also present gravitational signals produced in core-collapse supernova simulations performed by our group.