[Phybrownbag] Brown Bag Seminar This Friday - New Location

phybrownbag at orph02.phy.ornl.gov phybrownbag at orph02.phy.ornl.gov
Mon May 9 15:10:55 EDT 2016

Hi All –

Konstantin Yakunin will be presenting this month’s installment of the physics division brown bag seminar, this Friday, 5/13, at 12pm. Title and abstract are below.

Please note that until further notice the seminars will be held in the building 6000 conference room.

Cheers,
Vince

Title:  Gravitational Waves: 100 years from prediction to detection.
Abstract: LIGO scientific collaboration announced on April, 11th that they had detected the gravitational signal of two black holes coalescence a 400 Mpc away. This is the first direct evidence of gravitational waves, the ripples in the fabric of space-time that theory of General Relativity (GR) predicted a century ago. In this talk I will give an overview of 100-year history of GR, which lead to this outstanding achievement. I also present gravitational signals produced in core-collapse supernova simulations performed by our group.