[Phybrownbag] Brown Bag Seminar TOMORROW

phybrownbag at orph02.phy.ornl.gov phybrownbag at orph02.phy.ornl.gov
Thu Feb 11 09:49:03 EST 2016

Hi All -

Just a reminder that Raph Hix will be presenting a brown-bag seminar TOMORROW, at noon in the 6025 large conference room. Title and abstract are below. Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
Vince

Title: Multidimensional Simulations of Core-Collapse Supernovae and their Impact on Supernova Nucleosynthesis

Abstract: Core-collapse supernovae (CCSNe), the culmination of massive stellar evolution, are the principle actors in the story of our elemental origins. Though brought back to life by neutrino heating, the development of the supernova is inextricably linked to multi-dimensional fluid flows, with large scale hydrodynamic instabilities allowing successful explosions that spherical symmetry would prevent. The importance of the neutrino interactions and the multi-dimensional fluid flows that they drive have often been ignored when the nucleosynthesis that occurs in these explosions, and their resulting impact on galactic chemical evolution, is discussed. I will present results from simulations of successful explosions using our CHIMERA code, and discuss how the multi-dimensional character of the explosions directly impacts the development of the explosion as well as the nucleosynthesis and other observables of core-collapse supernovae.