[Phybrownbag] Brown Bag Seminar, TOMORROW at 12:15

phybrownbag at orph02.phy.ornl.gov phybrownbag at orph02.phy.ornl.gov
Thu Apr 7 19:12:18 EDT 2016

Hi Everyone -

Just a reminder that the next installment of our brown bag seminar is TOMORROW at 12:15, in the 6025 large conference room (note the slight change in time). Michael Wright is a group leader in the Nuclear Security & Isotope Technology Division, and will talk about some nuclear physics applications - title and abstract below. I hope you'll  be able to join us!

Cheers,
Vince

Title: Overview of ORNL Radiation Detection Instrumentation Development for National and Homeland Security

Abstract: The events of 9/11 have triggered an expansion of the role of radiation detection in national and homeland security. Ionizing radiation is ubiquitous in the environment and easily detected. The challenge is separating items of interest from background or non-interesting items. A common thread in most of the measurement solutions developed by ORNL's Nuclear Material Detection and Characterization Group (NMDC) is that significant processing is required to extract the useful information from the raw data.  We seldom have "peaks" on a "background". The raw data often looks like noise, and time and spatial correlations are used to extract the information. This presentation will provide an overview of the detection systems and techniques developed by NMDC with a focus on those with a high "physics" content. These include 3D event localization in bulk scintillator crystals, fusion of video with gamma-ray imaging to create a portal-less portal monitor, fast neutron coded aperture imaging, induced fission imaging, and elastic scatter imaging.