The Holifield Radioactive Ion Beam Facility (HRIBF) Users Group
is an organization of scientists and research personnel
interested in the radioactive ion beam
research and technical programs at the HRIBF. The purposes of this group
are as follows:
- To provide a formal channel for the exchange of information between the
HRIBF administration and the scientists who utilize this facility for
- To provide a means for the inclusion of its members in specific projects
connected with the development and operation of the facility and in the
- To act as a consulting and supporting body for the HRIBF.
The membership of the Users Group is open to scientists and research
personnel interested in the HRIBF. Members request to be added or removed
from the group by the HRIBF Users Office. It is the responsibility of
the users to provide the Users Office with current information.
- Members may be removed from the Users Group by unanimous vote
of the Executive Committee. A possible reason for removal is
that the member is not a qualified scientist or research person
in the eyes of the Committee.
- Removed members may be reinstated with the support of at least
one member of the Executive Committee.
An Executive Committee will be established to conduct group business. The
Committee consists of four voting members of the Users Group whose elected
term of office is four years. The Committee will organize by selecting a
chair. The HRIBF Science Director and Users Liaison will be ex-officio
- Two members of the Executive Committee will be elected every two years.
- The term of office is four years starting on January 1 and ending
- The chair is to be determined by the end of the second meeting of
The chair should have at least one year of prior experience
on this or previous HRIBF Users Executive Committees. Prior to
selection, the Committee will be run by the previous year's chair,
if available, or the HRIBF Scientific Director.
- The term of the chair is for one year and is renewable, although it
is not to be more than 2 years unless circumstances suggest this is
the best course of action.
- No institution may have more than one member.
- HRIBF staff are permitted to serve on the committee but are prohibited
from serving as chair.
- The chair is expected to attend the HRIBF Program Advisory
Committee Meetings as an observer.
- One member of the Executive Committee is expected to attend the
HRIBF Science Policy Committee meetings as a representative of the
Executive Committee. The representative is expected to serve at
least two years. In addition, one other member of the Executive
Committee may also attend as an observer.
- Removal of a member of the Executive Committee is possible through
an initiative by 10% of members of the Users Group, submitting statements
of support for such action. Upon reaching this threshold, the
Executive Committee must survey the Users Group and 66% of those
voting must be in favor of the removal. The vacancy will be filled
as per Section 5.2 and amendments.
- Executive Committee elections will take place in the latter half of
the calendar year. The Committee will run the election and determine
- All persons who are members when the balloting starts may vote.
- The nominating committee consists of the outgoing Executive Committee
members and the HRIBF Science Director.
- In order to ensure the diversity of the Executive Committee, the
nominating committee will select two members to compete for the seat of
each outgoing committee member. The slate of candidates will be presented
to the Users Group and additional nominations from the entire Users
Group will be solicited for at least three weeks. Additional
nominations are made by sending to the nominating committee at least
10 statements of support and identifying the seat of the outgoing
- Present Executive Committee members may not be nominated.
- A plurality of votes is sufficient for election. In case of a tie-vote,
the present Executive Committee will break the tie.
Periodically the HRIBF Users Office will provide information to the Users
Group. This information may take any form the HRIBF feels appropriate.
- All official business of the group, including elections, may be
conducted by whatever means the Executive Committee feels appropriate.
- The Executive Committee will conduct its business in a democratic
manner with one vote per member. In case of tie votes, the current
policy will remain unchanged.
- Vacancies on the Executive Committee must be replaced. The remaining
Executive Committee members will appoint a current member of the Users
Group to fill the vacancy for the remainder of the term. If the chair
is vacant, the remaining members will choose an interim chair amongst
themselves, fill the vacancy, and only then elect a new chair for the
remainder of the year.
- A Users Liaison will be selected by the HRIBF in consultation with
the Executive Committee chair.
- The Executive Committee may survey the Users Group and call meetings.
The results of these surveys should be transmitted to the Users Office.
- Upon request, the Executive Committee should provide additional
advice to the HRIBF.
- Amendments to this charter must originate from the Executive
Committee or from a group of ten members sending statements of
support to the Executive Committee.
- Amendments to the charter may be adopted by a vote of the membership
(plurality required) or unanimous vote of the four-member Executive
Committee. If the amendment passes by Executive Committee vote, a
group of ten at-large members may request a vote by the entire Users
Group and the amendment in question is suspended until the vote can
be held. Upon notification of the passage of the amendment, the
at-large membership will have four weeks to request the vote.
- Unless otherwise specified, the duties of the chair specified in this
charter may be carried out by a designated member of the Executive
- Unless otherwise specified, all duties and expectations with regard
to membership and observer status on HRIBF committees mentioned
specifically in this charter, will extend to any replacement committees.
- Unless otherwise specified, all duties of HRIBF personnel specified in
this charter may be carried out by a designee or replacement personnel.