Allows you to find out information about another computer user.
Different systems may give different amounts of information through
the finger command.
- finger jeff
- gives you information about anyone named
Jeff on your system.
- finger -m jsmith
- gives you information about the user
with the username jsmith.
- finger firstname.lastname@example.org
- gives you information about the
user with the E-mail address email@example.com.
- finger @ pulsar
- gives information about users
logged onto the pulsar computer on the system. This
information may contain the username of each user logged into any
window, the idle time for each window, and from which machine the
user logged onto pulsar.
- finger firstname.lastname@example.org
- (where pulsar is a
machine name) allows one to acquire slightly more information about
jsmith on a specific machine, pulsar. Sometimes one may
only be able to finger someone in a different department by
using the machine name in the command.